Do you know if your health insurance will cover you if you are out of the country? It is highly recommended to know the answer to this question before you travel again. In case your policy has some limitations regarding travel coverage, you still have time to do the right thing. You need to get the proper coverage that is suitable for your needs.
You need to call your insurance company and find out if your health coverage still applies outside the U.S. border. Have them answer these questions:
- Will my policy cover me when I become sick or involved in an accident?
- Do I need to pay out-of-pocket when I am abroad before I file a reimbursement claim?
- Will my policy cover pre-existing health conditions when I am out of the country?
Insurance companies generally consider medical emergencies as something that a person thinks their health would be at risk if there is no medical attention given. Examples of these are serious injuries and heart attack.
Rest assured that most insurance carriers give coverage while the policyholder is abroad. Having said that, there are still deductibles, coinsurance, and other requirements to consider.
The Advantages of Having Travel Health Insurance
You can use travel insurance as your primary or secondary coverage. It can also be used to fill the gap of your existing health insurance plan. If you still do not have it, it is beneficial to purchase comprehensive travel insurance because of these reasons:
- Emergency Medical Evacuation
- Emergency Medical Coverage
- 24/7 Emergency Assistance – You receive recommendations of the services of translations, hospitals, or doctors.
- Trip Cancellation – This provides coverage when you cancel your trip for particular reasons such as injury, sickness, natural disaster, or death of a family member.
- Baggage Protection – This comprehensive travel insurance may give reimbursement in case you lost your baggage, or it gets damaged, delayed, or stolen.
- Trip Interruption – This plan offers coverage if you need to go home early and make your trip short. For example, natural disasters, injury, or sickness.
Original Medicare Does Not Apply
Basically, you are not covered outside of the country if you have Original Medicare. But, you can acquire additional coverage. There is one exception to this rule; if you are on a ship that is still located in the United States waters.
Aside from the tips mentioned above, make some time to learn the health care system of the country you will be spending your vacation. Talk to your insurance agent before your trip and seek their advice. At Dave Silver Insurance, we work hard in making sure that our clients are well-protected with policies that they can afford. To learn more about how we can help you, please contact our agency at (941) 907-2879 or Click Here to request a free quote.